Thursday, March 1, 2007

It's good having contacts. After bypassing the ridiculous customs taxes and snoopy/thieving customs officials by sending a package to the APO, I am now in possession of:

  • 15 Luna bars
  • 18 packs of Orbit gum
  • Dried fruit, trail mix, almonds and pistachios
  • Bags of: peanut MnMs, mini Milky Ways, KitKat bars, Sour Patch Kids and Reese's
  • Enough Tampax Pearl to last a lifetime
  • Advil Cold & Sinus and Tyneol Cold & Flu
  • AA Batteries
  • Hair ties
  • Pictures!!
  • Sweetheart's Valentines Day candy and Moonstruck chocolate
  • Real Simple and People (academic reading)
I took it back to my room, and it promptly got searched upon entrance:

Guard at the dorms, while pawing through the package: Whisky?
Me: Uh, no. My Mom sent this to me.
Guard: I'm sorry.
Me: [confused]

Um, I love my parents. And the wonderful, wonderful man at the US Embassy who delivered the 18 pounds of goodness to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You adore Moonstruck chocolates too? My mom used to work for them, and we'd eat pounds and pounds whenever she brought them home... Take Your Daughter To Work Day was probably the sweetest (literally) thing ever...

Miss you. And let me know if there is anything else you want... I love sending presents!

Anonymous said...

“My Mom sent these to me!” Bravo, Kari!

This is a resourceful application of Cultural Option 12.1: "When confronted with a hostile Egyptian authority figure, consider playing the parent card. e.g. “My parents would be disappointed if……. “Of course I understand, but my parents think………” “I wish I could, but my father would never….” *

This is logic that every Egyptian patriarch will readily understand and acquiesce to!

* How to Survive Five Months in Cairo, lexicoriant.com/egypt/cairo/option12.1htm

Anonymous said...

People have opened successful stands in the market with less stock. I dare you to go into business!

Could you get into trouble displaying the beach whistles openly? You could triple the money on everything else.

The parent card is logically elegant, especially if you carry their pictures with you. No, tattoos would n't be a good substitute.

BTW, Jake's "I'm OK" text message started out "Jake died..."

Boy needs a thrashing--mind handling that for me?